Board of Elections
Meetings are held in the Board of Elections office located in the Avery County Government Courthouse Annex Suite 307 at
200 Montezuma St. Newland, NC.
- Tuesday, November 8th at 2 pm in the Board of Elections office for absentee ballot meeting
- October 20th - November 5th Early Voting at Avery County Senior center.
- October 20th- November 4th - 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- November 5th (ONLY SATURDAY OPEN)- 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Election day is November 8th- 6:30 am to 7:30 pm
AVERY COUNTY GOVERNMENT
Putting Citizens First
Avery County nurtures a sense of community by providing services and activities in a cost-effective and efficient manner reflecting proper stewardship of public trust.
Highest County Seat East of the Rockies
The Avery County Board of Elections conducts Federal, State and County elections. This department has the responsibility for the administration of voter registration, the electoral process, and campaign finance disclosures. The Elections office registers all eligible voters who meet residency and age requirements, tallies election results, and maintains a record of all registered voters in the County.
The Board of Elections operates under a five member board appointed by the State Board of Elections. Board meetings are held regularly and dates are posted at the courthouse. Specific information pertaining to the registration and electoral process may be seen on subsequent pages within the Board of Elections portion of the County Website.
PO Box 145
Newland, NC 28657
The Elections Office is located in the Avery County Courthouse Annex at
200 Montezuma Street, Newland, NC.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday – Friday
8:00am – 4:30pm
Sheila Ollis, Director
Joseph Trivette, Deputy Director
Gayle Culbreath Chairperson
Crystal L. Vance Secretary
Teri Seegers Member
Clay Crews Member
Tommy Huskins Member
You may register to vote in North Carolina at the Board of Elections Office in Newland, NC. You may also register to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles Office when conducting official DMV business, or at a state agency when applying for benefits.
The deadline to register to vote in North Carolina and in Avery County is 25 days before the date of an election. Forms must be received in the Elections Office or postmarked by the deadline. Each voter will be sent a voter card showing his/her assigned precinct.
To be eligible to vote, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a resident of North Carolina and Avery County for at least 30 days prior to an election
- Be at least 18 years of age by the next general election
- Not be registered to vote in another county or state
- If convicted of a felony, have had your citizenship rights restored
If you move to another county in North Carolina, you will need to register in that county.
One-Stop Absentee Voting
Click One Stop Voting for more information on One Stop Absentee Voting, or call our office at 828-733-8282.
There are 19 precincts in Avery County. These precincts are listed below:
(02) Banner Elk
(03) Beech Mountain
(04) Cary’s Flat
(06) Elk Park
(14) Newland 1
(15) Newland 2
(17) Plumtree *Plumtree Presbyterian Church
(19) Roaring Creek